If you are already a 20 or 30-something-year-old individual and you are a female, chances are that you have already encountered the name metronidazole 500mg (brand name Flagyl). Perhaps you have once undergone a treatment regimen of metronidazole 500mg in the past.
Metronidazole 500mg is actually a medicine that is known to be a potent and affordable antibiotic, and its main purpose is that it is an antibacterial agent that get rids of ailments or infections caused by anaerobic organisms, protozoa, amoeba, etc.
Metronidazole 500mg is included in the list of WHO’s Essential Medicines, which means this particular drug is very important in the basic health needs of people in a community.
There are many medical uses of metronidazole 500mg. Below are some of them:
- Amoebiasis – Entamoeba histolytica is a gastrointestinal infection that causes amoebiasis. Metronidazole 500mg can help eliminate the cysts that cause this health problem.
- Bacterial vaginosis – when it comes to this problem, the two main medicines that can treat this very well are clindamycin and metronidazole 500mg. If the patient is not pregnant, metronidazole 500mg will be recommended to be taken orally twice per day for a period of 7 days. If the patient is pregnant, she should take oral metronidazole 500mg 3 times a day for a period of 7 days. The sexual partner of the affected patient should also be checked if this is the case.
- Giardiasis – a parasitic disease caused by the protozoan Giardia lamblia. While treatment is not always a necessity in giardiasis infections, metronidazole 500mg can help cure this problem if it becomes acute or if the symptoms persist. Metronidazole 500mg has to be taken 3 times per day for a period of 5 to 10 days.
- Gingivitis – this means that the gums or gum tissue are inflamed and plaque is evident on the surface of the teeth. Gingival diseases of bacterial or fungal origin can be treated with a course of metronidazole 500mg.
- Trichomoniasis – Tinidazole and metronidazole 500mg are the best drugs for treating infections associated with Trichomonas vaginalis. The treatment regimen must be given for the affected patient and the patient’s sexual partner, even if the partner does not exhibit any symptoms. The patient will take metronidazole 500mg for 7 days.
- Lung abscess – treatment with metronidazole 500mg or other broadspectrum antibiotics are the best drugs used for lung abscess.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease – treatment of this problem depends on the cause, but most doctors recommend an antibacterial medicine like metronidazole 500mg.
- Pseudomembranous colitis – Metronidazole 500mg is usually the first drug of choice for pseudomembranous colitis or C. difficile (infectious diarrhea) cases, mainly because of its affordable price.
- Metronidazole 500mg is also used on people recovering from surgery, so as to prevent any infection from occurring while they recuperate.
Before taking metronidazole 500mg tablets, make sure that you have read all the precautions and the leaflet that comes with the pack. Make sure that you are not pregnant or breastfeeding when you take this medicine. Metronidazole 500mg tablets may make you feel dizzy, sleepy, confused, and it can even affect your vision. Thus, it is best that when you take metronidazole 500mg, do not drive, lift heavy objects, or operate heavy machinery. Read more…