Metronidazole 500mg is something a person would need in case a doctor has diagnosed them to have some kind of bacterial ailment such as bacterial vaginosis, oral infections, etc. Aside from bacterial infections, metronidazole 500mg is also an excellent medicine for parasitic-type infections such as amebic dysentery, amebic liver abscess, Giardia infections affecting the small intestine, etc.
There are actually many clinical uses of metronidazole 500mg. Below are some of its many uses:
- Metronidazole 500mg is widely known for women to help them treat bacterial vaginosis, along with clindamycin. If a woman is not pregnant, they should need metronidazole 500mg to be taken 2 times per day for 7 days. If a woman is currently pregnant, she would need metronidazole 500mg to be taken 3 times per day for 7 days.
- Metronidazole 500mg and tinidazole are the main choices of drugs for treating infections caused by Trichomonas vaginalis, the condition being called trichomoniasis. In this case, treatment using metronidazole 500mg should be given to both the patient and her sexual partner, even if the sexual partner is classified as asymptomatic, which means that even if the infection exists, he does not manifest or show any signs or symptoms of it at all.
- Metronidazole 500mg can either be used as itself or it can be combined with other antibiotics to help treat abscesses existing in the liver, abdomen, brain and pelvis which is caused by specifically susceptible anaerobic bacteria.
- Metronidazole 500mg can be used as well in combination with other medications in order to help treat H. pylori infections which cause intestinal or stomach ulcers.
- Metronidazole 500mg can also be helpful in treating colon infections caused by the C. difficile bacterium. There are numerous common antibiotics that can change the type of bacteria that live in the colon. C. difficile is a type of anaerobic bacterium that can potentially infect the human colon when the normal kinds of bacteria within the colon are inhibited or restrained by common antibiotics. If this condition goes on, this will lead to an inflamed colon called pseudomembranous colitis, accompanied with severe abdominal pain and diarrhea. In this case, vancomycin administered orally is proven to be more effective in treating those with severe conditions of C. difficile colitis.
- Metronidazole 500mg is also a very good antiprotozoal medicine, very effective against eradication of E. histolytica, an anaerobic parasitic protozoan. If you have liver abscess caused by E. histolytica, metronidazole 500mg will definitely be one of the medicines you will be taking, along with chloroquine and other drugs.
- Other medical uses of metronidazole 500mg include pelvic inflammatory disease, aspiration pneumonia, giardiasis, ameobiasis, periodontitis, lung abscess, and many more.
Ask your doctor on how to properly take metronidazole 500mg so that you would get the best effects of metronidazole 500mg during your treatment course. Make sure that you take metronidazole 500mg along with some food or a full glass of milk or water especially if you easily get an upset stomach. The dosage of metronidazole is usually based on the type of infection you have, your medical condition, medical history and your tolerance/response to the treatment.